Middle Head Battery Walk
Join our military relics walk to Middle Head Fort
Our Middle Head Battery Walk enables you to explore the historic relics and military sites of yesteryear.
Learn more as you explore the significant historical and cultural heritage within the Sydney Harbour National Park.
Come and discover the hidden sites of Sydney Harbour’s military history and learn about the purpose for these important structures built to protect against foreign forces.
What do you do and see?
Our Middle Head Battery Walk includes:
- Departing from HMAS Penguin, visitors stroll through the bushland scrub looking for local birdlife along the Don Goodsir Trail. This tour is ideal for bird watches, photographers and history buffs.
- Here, visitors spot a range of unique birds such as the New Holland Honey Eaters, Superb Fairy Wrens and the Red Browed Finch as well as many more.
- Our tour visits the 1801 fortification where guests learn about the military history and natural landforms of the harbour.
- You may have a chance encounter with a sea eagle or spot the pod of dolphins that frequently visit the harbour headland.
- The tour then walks through the Middle Head Barracks and fortifications where visitors learn about Sydney’s unique military history and stories of Australia’s past service men and women.
- Returning back towards the start, visitors learn about the Aboriginal legend, known as King Bungaree. His role was to establish and maintain the first farm in this area in partnership with Governor Macquarie along the ridge top of Middle Head.
- This is a terrific tour that incorporates the natural, historical and traditional heritage of sydney harbour national park and concludes back at HMAS Penguin.
Military sites include the Obelisk Bay Battery, Outer Middle Head and Inner Middle Head battery and barracks.
“Alan provided a very personal and tailored tour for our group. He was very knowledgeable and adaptive throughout the tour providing the group a unique and interesting tour.”
|CHILD (8-16 YEARS) Must be accompanied by supervising adults||$19|